Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reunited - Does it feel that good?

My 10th year reunion almost a decade ago brought excitement and anticipation. What was everyone up to? Did everyone still look the same? What did I miss being out of the loop for so long?
My questions were quickly answered upon my arrival:
Not much.
Pretty much.
Not missing much.
NOTE: High School Reunion + Alcohol = High School

I recently received an invite via Facebook for my 20th high school reunion. Wasn’t Facebook created so we can find people from our pasts, see what they're up to and move on; a sort of passive reunion if you will?
Don’t we already know all there is to know about one another from our regular status updates and uploaded pictures from family vacations, weddings, births, etc.?
Perhaps my hesitation stems from the fact that I am so past high school I don’t feel the need to revisit. I am at a place in my life where I don’t have anything to prove to anyone anymore. Maybe I did at the last reunion. I had this gorgeous date (who I eventually married) by my side and was eager to show people that Pam is no longer the insecure theatre geek she was ten years before, a sure sign I was still somewhat insecure.
At 37 I am in a peaceful place where the only person I need to prove anything to is myself. I am a writer, a student, a volunteer, a wife and a secure theatre geek - and I‘ve never been happier! 

No comments:

Post a Comment