Monday, May 9, 2011

My So-Called Adult Life

I watched the show My So-Called Life religiously as a college senior. Even though the show centered around a high school student, I could relate to the central character’s experiences and often found myself in tears remembering how hard high school was and that college wasn’t much better.
The advent of Netflix has allowed me to revisit this one season classic; only now I find myself relating less to the main character, Angela, and more to her parents. Sure, I love getting lost in in Jordan Catalano’s eyes and remembering just how ahead of his time Ricky Vasquez was; but now I find myself cringing when Angela’s mother makes a backhanded remark to the father or nags him to get him to do some menial chore around the house. Why? Because I have said and done some of the same cringe-worthy things.
Around mid-season Angela’s father, Graham, quits the family printing business in order to take some time for self-discovery and pursue what truly makes him happy.
Was it God nudging me when I decided to revisit this show at this particular transitional time in my life?
As I watched the only season of this show tick away to its end, I never would find out if Graham’s foray into the restaurant business panned out; if he ended up truly happy. I want to contact the writers of the show and ask them what would have happened if the show went on for another season - another episode. Would Graham get his happy ending?
I guess that’s the advantage to existing in the real world - I get to write my own happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment