Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From On Line to Online

On the eve of taking my first college class since I went through my Winona Ryder hair phase I can’t help but feel somewhat out-of-step with modern collegiate life. No newly sharpened pencils as all my work is done on a computer. No new textbook smell as I purchased one used on Amazon.com. There won’t even be any teachers’ dirty looks because I won’t ever see them face-to-face. In fact, I won’t even have to leave the sofa in my house.
Welcome to the world of online learning, a concept so foreign when I was in college as email had barely come to light the last year of my studies. Yes, gone are the days of waiting on long lines to register for class as everything is now done online.
While I do appreciate not being married to a stringent class schedule and the convenience of not having to schlep to class two hours early just to find that last parking space on the complete opposite side of campus I need to be on, there is something lost in not having that camaraderie you share with your fellow student. Perhaps if I weren’t such an extrovert this online concept wouldn't seem so foreign.
For now, however, I wonder if I can get new textbook scent in a spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment