Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Yoga for Strippers


Sitting on my yoga mat stretching and getting ready for class I couldn't help but feel rage. Everything about my surroundings annoyed me - the room was to packed, the woman next to me was invading my personal space and no one would shut up as I tried to relax before class began. 

Ahhh, the power of yoga There is nothing like a grueling sweat-infused yoga class to strip down all your armor and force you to get real with yourself...sometimes before class has even begun.

Making a proclamation to be happy is one thing; getting there is a whole different story. And this yoga class - the first one in weeks after extensive slacking and avoidance - made me realize that happiness sometimes takes work.

In yoga I try to shut out everyone else in the room; but the reality is that they are present and a part of your experience no matter how much you try and block them out. The key is to choose to make their presence positive.

The same goes for life. We have to choose how we are going to let something or someone affect us. What's so exceptional about yoga is that even when you are cursing it, it continues to gift you such valuable lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment