Monday, September 24, 2012

Backtracking


When working on a marriage - at least for me - it's important to remember why it is I was attracted to my husband in the first place. We are utilizing our time together to remind ourselves of why we had so much fun together in our early years and - here's the crazy part - actually doing those things!

During a recent trip to New York City we were inspired after seeing a photo exhibition by Dutch photographer Rineke Dijkstra at the Guggenheim. Her exhibit simply titled  "Rineke Dijkstra: A Retrospective" focused on her portrait work and honesty in the human expression.

My husband and I were utterly blown away by her work. She strayed from glamour and facades and instead her work was raw and real. We stood there in awe of how affected we were by the simplicity of her photos, me even being moved to tears.

We left that afternoon so completely moved and inspired to bring Rineke's honesty into our own lives.

My husband and I love taking pictures, always have and we still do; but Ms. Dijkstra's work entailed using, dare I say, "old-fashioned" camera equipment and film to truly capture small moments in a person's life without the help of automatic camera settings and photoshop to turn a moment into something that it's not.

After witnessing Reneke's vision we were inspired to capture honesty around us as well. We purchased a 1960's medium-format camera and film and are teaching ourselves about light and aperture and how we can capture truth around us. As a result we are learning from one another again, talking, exchanging ideas, planning projects together.

It's such an obvious metaphor for life I am not even going to try hiding it. This simple act of capturing honesty around us is allowing us to see each other as we once did many years ago…with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment