Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Fun Factor

I was sitting down at dinner with my husband after my second day “on the job.” I was very adamant in telling him all I did not accomplish, as if confessing my failures instead of my successes in a job interview. When he could finally get a word in he simply stated - you should try and have some fun. Well, apparently fun is my new f-word because I looked at him in horror. Fun? I should be having fun? Since when is a job fun?
What was wrong with having fun and why did I feel so much guilt about the possibility of enjoying my new life? Was it my guilt-ridden, lackadaisical Catholic upbringing or the fact that I never had a job I considered fun? Is being a housewife a job? Can being a housewife be fun?
Perhaps the problem lies in the very definition of the word “job.” Mr. Webster, if you please...
1. a piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine of one’s occupation or for an agreed price: She gave him the job of mowing the lawn.
2. anything a person is expected of obliged to do; duty; responsibility: It is our job to be on time.
3. the material, project, assignment, etc., being worked upon: The housing project was a long and costly job.
4. the process or requirements, details, etc., of working: It was a tedious job.
5. a public or official act or decision carried through for the sake of improper private gain.
Routine, agreed price, obliges, duty, responsibility, improper private gain...the job of mowing the lawn...our job to be on time...long and costly job...tedious job...
It’s no wonder anyone likes their job considering all the negative connotations associated with the mere definition of the word!
But maybe that’s where my problem lies - considering this new direction my life is taking as a job. Sure I find comfort in routine; I am a stickler for being on time; I am anything but irresponsible; and yeah, I even enjoy mowing the lawn. The difference is that I don’t care if I get paid or not. What brought me to this point in my life is because I found what I wanted to do, my passion; and I want to pursue it with gusto with or without monetary benefit.

So why label being a housewife as a job? Why not call it a fun adventure? Who said being a housewife could be anything but that?
Oh yeah, that was me.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe think of it less as a job and more as your piece of a cooperative effort and partnership in building a full, balanced life.
    The old redneck adage is true: "If she ain't happy, he ain't happy." Or you may prefer the more philosophical tone of, "You can only be as happy as the least happy person in a relationship." Go For Happy!

    ReplyDelete