Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Absence of Guilt

I have been on an unplanned hiatus. I thought I would get right back into the swing of things as soon as I returned from vacation. Turns out life had other plans. 
I was raised a lackadaisical Catholic; and while church was never a regular occurrence for me, guilt certainly was. Even as a housewife I often feel guilty for not getting a household chore done, taking a nap with the dog or getting my homework done 3 days before it is due instead of 5.
Last week was a different story.
I found myself forgoing my daily vacuuming obsession, putting off my homework until the day before it was due (GASP!) and not writing a single sentence. What could have possibly kept me from all that keeps me sane?
As it turns out I like spending time with my husband; much more than gluing my butt to a sofa and cranking out an essay or painstakingly going over every piece of furniture in my house with a lint roller. Throw in some really good friends and you have the recipe for a guilt-free week of, dare I say, fun.
While the daunting tasks I forwent piled up inside my head I told myself I would not forsake quality of time for quantity of task. And I have to admit, it felt a little naughty to rebel against my own stringency.
I will also admit, however, that I find comfort in routine; so going back to the grind this week brings me great solace; but I will try and remind my slightly OCD side to lighten up just a wee bit. I may even put the lint roller back in the closet....at least until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment